What is knee pain?
Pain is a common knee problem that can originate in any of the bony structures compromising the knee joint (femur, tibia, fibula), the kneecap (patella), or the ligaments, tendons, and cartilage (meniscus) of the knee. Knee pain can be aggravated by physical activity, as well as obesity, affected by the surrounding muscles and their movements, and be triggered by other problems (such as a foot injury). Knee pain can affect people of all ages, and home remedies can be helpful unless it becomes severe.
What are knee pain symptoms and signs?
ome of the other signs and symptoms that accompany knee pain are
- difficulty weight bearing or walking due to instability of the knee,
- limping due to discomfort,
- difficulty walking up or down steps due to ligament damage (sprain),
- locking of the knee (unable to bend the knee),
- redness and swelling,
- inability to extend the knee, and
- shifting weight to the opposite knee and foot.
What causes knee pain?
Knee pain can be divided into three major categories:
- Acute injury: such as a broken bone, torn ligament, or meniscal tear
- Medical conditions: rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, infections
- Chronic use/overuse conditions: osteoarthritis, chondromalacia, IT band syndrome, patellar syndromes, tendinitis, and bursitis